Monday, September 7, 2026

Individual Self-Fulfillment: Speech Theories

 Freedom of expression allows citizens to share opinions, show personality, express passions, be creative, and express their individuality. You may not realize it, but you use this freedom way more often than you think. Expressing your opinion on which breakfast cereal is the best with your friends, the T-shirt you put on this morning, and the complaints you post on TikTok about the cafeteria food are all uses of your freedom of expression. As a creative person, the speech theory that connects to my life the most is Individual Self-Fulfillment. 


What is Individual Self-Fulfillment?  It is the idea that having the freedom of expression allows people to be themselves. They can share their passions and develop their own identity. This theory isn't just about political views or controversial ideas. It's about having the freedom to be unique and be themselves.

From a very young age, I have always expressed myself through creativity. Even in college, it is still a huge part of my life. As I've gotten older, I've found even more ways to express myself creatively, including my decision to study Fashion Merchandising in college. Fashion allows me to express my interests, moods, beliefs, and personal style. Even simple choices can say a lot about who I am. A T-shirt can show my favorite band, a pair of boots can represent my roots, and a cross necklace can represent my beliefs. Fashion isn't the only way I express myself. Social media has given me a space to share my fashion and other creative interests.  I use platforms like Pinterest, Instagram, and TikTok. I post everything from travel content to my artwork. These are all forms of expression I use in my daily life. 

Social media is a major part of our world today, especially for young adults. It has created so many opportunities for self-expression. According to a study posted by the National Library of Medicine, researchers studied 742 students, all between the ages of 13 and 19, to better understand self-expression and digital creativity. Researchers found that positive digital self-expression can play a big role in how a teen forms their identity and self-affirmation. This is really important for young people because during these years, they are still figuring out who they are as people, and it is very important that they have an outlet to express their interests and beliefs while connecting with others through social media. Without the freedom to express ourselves, we wouldn't have this opportunity. 


Self-expression goes so much farther than social media; it is crucial to our development as people. Another study on adolescent development explains that identity development is the most important part of being a teen/young adult. I believe trying new things is an important part of discovering who you are. Having the freedom to express ourselves allows us to try out new hobbies or interests. Without this freedom, I never would have tried painting or cheerleading. Because of this freedom, I discovered I'm actually not so good at sports or strategic games, but I am good at scrapbooking and baking. These aren't just things I like to do. This is who I am; my identity is in my creativity. 

Individual Self-Fulfilment shows why freedom of expression is about so much more than just sharing an opinion. It allows everyone to express themselves, explore who they are, and share their beliefs and creativity with others. Whether someone is expressing themselves through fashion, art, music, social media, or their beliefs, each form can be a very important part of a person's life. Before researching Individual Self-Fulfilment, I never realized how much freedom of expression affects my life. It has allowed me to express who I am and explore other things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment